Geoff Surratt has recently published a book entitled “Ten Stupid Things That Keep Churches From Growing.” In an interview about the book, (Click here for interview)Surratt listed ten things he would do differently if he were starting over again in ministry:
1. Preparing others to do the work of the ministry rather than trying to do most of the ministry myself.
2. Finding the right balance between family and ministry
3. Focusing on having an outstanding weekend worship experience
4. Creating compelling environments for children's ministry
5. Emphasizing integrity rather than just talent in developing new leaders
6. Being willing to move the church if it wasn't in the right location for the mission of that local congregation
7. Finding God's unique expression of ministry rather than closely copying what another successful church is doing
8. Always working for reconciliation in conflict rather than defaulting to discipline
9. Avoiding any conflict of interest when pursuing any business opportunities outside of the church
10. Building healthy teams rather than getting bogged down with endless committees
Makes sense to me.